Nurse Reentry Program FAQs
The Technical College System of Georgia (TCSG), with the support of the Georgia Board of Nursing (GBON), has developed two pathways to reenter the high-demand field of nursing in the state of Georgia:
WHO DOES THIS APPLY TO?
- RNs and LPNs who have an active GA nursing license but have not practiced nursing for a period of time and want to refresh their knowledge base and nursing skills in preparation to reenter the nursing profession in a clinical setting
- RNs and LPNs who want to reinstate their GA nursing license by completing a required Board-approved reentry/refresher program
- RNs and LPNs who have an active nursing license in another state but need to complete a required Board approved reentry/refresher program to apply for a GA nursing license
The 40 hours of study relevant to nursing must be completed before beginning the 160 hours of supervised clinical study. Upon completion of the 160 hours of clinical study, verification of this will be sent to the Board to support the reinstatement of RN or LPN licensure. Before the clinical time begins, the applicant must provide the following information to the RN Reentry Coordinator:
- A physical examination within the past six months indicating a good state of health
- Documentation of a 2-step TB skin test unless documentation is provided of annual TB skin testing or documentation of a negative Quantiferon or TSpot test. If past history of positive TB skin test, then a chest x-ray within the past 12 months (some facilities may require 6 months) with results within normal limits is required.
- MMR -Two doses or documentation of positive Measles, Mumps and Rubella titers.
- Documentation of Tdap within the last 10 years. Td alone is not sufficient.
- Varicella Vaccination two doses, or documented history of Chicken Pox disease or Varicella titer.
- Current American Heart Association BLS for Healthcare Providers
- Active malpractice liability insurance ($1,000,000 each incident, $4,000,000 aggregate).
- Active accidental health insurance (medical coverage)
- Complete the Hepatitis B Series or show proof of immunity.
- May be other requirements based on the institution’s policies and procedures.
Contact Information for Reentry Coordinator:
How to apply
Please read the FAQ page and visit the Georgia Board of Nursing website to review all requirements and related forms.
Once you have reviewed the FAQ and GBON pages, please reach out to Samantha Bell (firstname.lastname@example.org) for registration information.
Note: Applicants must have an active application for licensure on file when submitting a reentry request. An application number is required.
Enrollment is on-demand. There are no scheduled start or end dates. However, students are required to complete the online didactic portion of the program within 4 weeks of the start date.
The applicant is required to determine an appropriate reentry site. The applicant’s college of choice will determine the clinical site in their designated service area. Applicants must complete all forms and requirements for each clinical site before they can begin the didactic portion of the program. All colleges participating in the reentry program are listed below.